In North Yorkshire, England Mohammed Zaman, 53, (above left) was found guilty of manslaughter after he used cheaper ground peanuts at his restaurants rather than almond powder, resulting in the death of nut allergy sufferer Paul Wilson, 38, (above right).
While the motive for Mr. Zaman to substitute ground peanuts for ground almonds was greed, it is also possible that Mr. Zaman was ignorant of how dangerous allergic reactions can be for customers. His greed and or ignorance unfortunately killed a customer landed him in prison for six years and bankrupted his six-unit restaurant chain.
In the U.S., 15 million people have food allergies. Every day about five million of them eat in a restaurant or other food establishment. Some people have food allergies so severe that ingesting an allergen can have fatal consequences. The vast majority of food allergens that affect people involve foods that are in the Big Eight: dairy, wheat, tree nuts, eggs, peanuts, soy, seafood and shellfish.
The best way to protect your customers and your brand is to make sure that your managers and employees are aware of the potential allergic reactions as well as ways to prevent them. Restaurant Class offers the ServSafe™ Allergen on-line course for $22 in both English and Spanish. The course takes a couple of hours and you can start and stop instruction at your leisure (over 90 days). There is an assessment at the end and those successfully passing will receive a certificate of completion.
Photo credit: Daily Mail
*Source: Daily Mail May 23, 2016
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3604753/Penny-pinching-curry-house-boss-GUILTY-killing-allergic-customer-giving-takeaway-containing-peanuts-cheaper-almonds.html#ixzz4jKd2zyn7
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook